School Of Athens

School Of Athens

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Godfather


The Godfather was released in 1972 and directed by Fancais Ford Coppola. It starred Marlon Brando, Al Pacino and James Caan. The film is rated number two just below Citizen Cane on the American Film Institute top 100 movies.
I decided to evaluate some of the scenes that are present in this film. In particular I wanted to focus on the special effects. Compared to today's movies they are absolutely terrible but givin the time period I don't think many questions were ever raised about them, especially because this was such a great movie.

At 3 minutes and 35 seconds you can tell where I am coming from. The shooting in the elevator is first. The gun used sounds like a firework and seems totally unrealistic. The second scene of poor special effects is when he is shot in the eye through his glasses. I was expecting blood to come pouring out but instead it looked like discolored water. I am in no way putting down The Godfather because it is absolutely one of the best films created. I wanted to shed light on how much special effects have evolved within the last 30 years.

1 comment:

  1. It's puzzling to me why you would talk about special effects in the godfather. It wasn't about special effects, the movie was about the story, the characters NOT effects. so why would you discuss them here? You never say why you elected to do that.
    6 points

    ReplyDelete