School Of Athens

School Of Athens

Sunday, February 12, 2012

NY Metropolitan Museum Of Art



This Friday I visited the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art to view a painting by Edouard Manet, in particular I wanted to see the "Garden at Sainte-Adresse". I have seen this painting a bunch of times but never in person. I am truly glad that I made the trip to see this though.
As I wrote previously Edouard Manet is a French artist who was born on January 23, 1832 in Paris. He was born into a wealthy family and was persuaded by his uncle to attend college for the arts. He would also visit the Louvre at a very young age, which sparked his interest in painting. This specific painting was painted in summer of 1867 in the actual garden of Sainte-Adresse. The panting is also quite large and I personally didn't know that from looking at images.
The best part of seeing this masterpiece in person, was that I began to notice small details and even something so small like his signature. I also noticed the boats in the background and the detail in the wood fence. Not only did I notice more but, the colors were slightly more vibrant. Surprisingly seeing the painting in person made me appreciate it more. Maybe because it's one of my favorites but either way I truly do appreciate art that involves skill.
Now after viewing this piece of artwork I feel as if I have a better grasp on Manet's work. I now notice his technique, meanwhile back in the art history book it was very hard to take in. In person you can really become aware of his style. He has his own way of simple brush strokes that look like nothing, until it is looked at from a distance. For example in the picture above the flowers are uncomplicated dots and blends of colors. It is things like this that make Manet a truly exceptional artist.
I am extremely happy that I made the trip to see these paintings in person. Before this artistic journey I didn't realize how important it was to a see a painting up close.


No comments:

Post a Comment